Guess what?! I have gotten a job! And not only a whatever job, it’s as a graphic designer!
Guess what again?! It’s in Uppsala, Sweden!
My wife, our cat, and I are, therefore, moving back to Sweden in less than two months. This is, of course, a bittersweet situation where I’m over-the-top excited to work within the branch of what I’ve been studying, but also to be close to my/our Swedish/European friends and family. On the other hand, we’re truly sad about leaving the States, Asheville, North Carolina and all American friends and family here…
The good part, though, is that all my benefits at work will allow us to go to the States every now and then! So now, we’re in the middle of planning a big moving out party, contacting moving companies – geting quotes from them, organizing our things, finding somewhere to live in Uppsala…and the list continues.
But before all of that craziness starts for real, we’re going to celebrate a really cozy Thanksgiving next week, prepare for the Christmas Holiday, and my parents are coming in less than a month to stay with us for some weeks. We’re going to have a cozy Swedish Christmas Eve celebration (Swedish tradition to celebrate on the 24th) and of course an American Christmas Day celebration. The perk of being in an international relationship ♥.
So I guess it will be mix of blogposts here from now on – all the catching up posts I’m doing right now from fall happenings, our preparations/updates in the process of moving, end of school year posts, and Holiday celebration posts.
Last night we headed over to → French Broad Brewery and listened to → the Wilhelm Brothers who played there. This band is made up of Chris and Cristof, a guitar player and a cello player, who not only play, but share their souls with you as you listen. They sing and play with such amazing feeling/emotion and express such pure happiness so that the only thing you do is to smile from the inside out. I love it. Their style is, as they describe it, is Folk Rock with Cello Infusion. The best thing is that I’m fortunate enough to have gotten to know these guys, so when we heard they were back in town from their two week long tour in the northeast US, we of course headed over to the brewery wheere they were playing last night.
Cristof on the cello (and vocals) and Chris on the guitar (and lead vocals).
It was actually the first time I was at this brewery, which is funny since I do have a favorite beer (Kolsch) from here that I always order when I’m out eating (and not eating at another brewery). We talked a lot with the girl who worked there last night and she told us it’s only $2.5 pints on Mondays, so I guess we’re heading back there then to experience it some more and drink cheap beer!
Liz is talking to our friend, Andrea, who also married to the guitar player, Chris, in the band. Oh, she’s a Multimedia Artist and has her own studio in the → River Arts District here in Asheville, called, → Studio A. She designs, lamp shades, prints/cards in collaboration with her mom, and Ukrainian Pysanky Eggs. She has an etsy shop up and running now → AshevilleStudioA on Etsy
We decided to head over to Rosetta’s Kitchen after the show to eat a delicious dinner. Rosetta’s Kitchen is all about vegetarian/vegan food. Sooooo good!!!
They also have various local artists’ work on their walls, which is for sale. I love that concept.
Me, Liz, Andrea, and Chris.
It was such a great night and I just love to be surrounded by positive energy people, artists, and creative people and friends in general. Such an inspiration in life, and I’m so blessed to have gotten to know amazing people here. Yes, I’m having an emotional moment right now. More about that in another post…
Ps. If you would like to listen to the Wilhelm Brothers, you can check them out on Spotify. Just follow the links below. ↓
As of today, I finished up my last whole week of school!! I only have two more regular school days left (this coming Monday and Tuesday), and then we’re having Thanksgiving break. After the short break, we have a couple of reading days, and then finals week starts on the 2nd. This semester I’m done with all my finals within the first three days, which means I’m out on the 4th! ONLY FREAKING 2 WEEKS FROM TODAY!!! Crazy. Anyway, this is one of my classrooms where I’m taking History of Graphic Design, and a typical time when I’m first in the classroom, being bored.
The music playing in the background in the video I made and posted on the blog yesterday (link → here) is, the Avett Brothers – an American folk/bluegrass-ish kind of band from North Carolina made up by two brothers Seth and Scott Avett, Bob Crawford, and Joe Kwon. My amazing wife, Liz purchased tickets and she, together with Paige and I, went and saw them at the U.S. Cellular Center in downtown Asheville some weeks ago. I thought they needed a little bit more space here on the blog. To be honest, I haven’t really been listening to them a whole lot, just through Liz, but I’ve started getting into them more and more lately. It’s not my typical kind of music, but after being to the concert and seeing them live, I’ve gained a huge appreciation for their musical talents and generous positive energy they shared with their audience. Let’s check out the concert some through my phone.
My favorite song is → The Once and Future Carpenterwhich is also the song I used as background music in my Camping video. Check the group out, if you are in the mood for some new music! You can find their latest album → here (opens in Spotify).
In the middle of October, we packed our camping stuff, and together with the rest of the family, headed to Hot Springs here in North Carolina. It was a beautiful and relaxing weekend, filled with campfires, yummy food, a lot of laughter, and the celebration of Liz’s dad who turned 70!!! I decided to make a video of it all, so if you would like to tag along on our camping adventures, afterwards, check out the video below. It will only take about 4 min of your life 🙂
Some of the things I wish for Christmas 2014 (not in a specific order).
1. Speck 13″ SmartShell Satin Case for MacBook Pro with Retina Display (from Best Buy or Apple Store). 2. Herschel Supply Co. Little America Backpack (from Urban Outfitters/ASOS/Hershel). 3. Black Cashmere Scarf (from H&M). 4. Full Exposure Palette (from the brand Smashbox at Sephora/Ulta Beauty). 5. Mini Diana Camera Flash Case (from lomography.com). 6. Marc by Marc Jacobs Blade in Silver(from marcjacobs.com). 7. Brewing Kit – American Pale Ale (from craftabrew.com or Barnes & Noble).
My October/November album, has been/is for sure, Damien Rice’s My Favourite Faded Fantasy. It’s really chill and relaxed music, and perfect to listen to while studying, walking to places, traveling, or pretty much whatever. Favorite tracks are: My Favorite Faded Fantasy, I Don’t Want to Change You, and Colour Me In. Check out the music, down below, or simply click on this link → Damien Rice – My Favorite Faded Fantasy (it will be open up in Spotify then).
Liz and I fixed really good halloumi burgers last night. We totally haven’t seen any halloumi cheese anywhere here in the States, but yesterday afternoon, Liz texted me and told me we were having a fantastic dinner. Curious as I am, I begged her to tell me what her plan was so I could be excited the rest of the day too. She told me, and I was totally freaking out, since I’ve been missing halloumi cheese like crazy – such a perfect cheese to have in salads, sandwiches, and also make a veggie burger out of. We read a blog post from Julia, about her halloumi burger, so credit to her for such good food inspiration!
We used: cherry tomatoes
fresh baked buns
mustard & ketchup
We also peeled potatoes, cut them into fries form, put them on a oven pan, drizzled fresh garlic, olive oil, salt, and pepper. We finalized this delicious dinner with drinking Highland Brewery’s Winter Ale – Cold Mountain. YUM.
Of course, it was dark outside, so the light inside wasn’t optimal, hence the bad quality. Oh, well. If you happen to not know what to make for dinner tonight, this is a really good tip!
My cousin answered some questions on her blog that she received from another blog girl. Thought it could be fun to tag along with this on the Internet. Here we go.
1. What are three pieces of your favorite candy? Depending on mood. Sometimes more chocolate, sometimes more sour ones etc. But I do have several ones that usually make it every single time, for example, Center, Lysmelk, Bubblizz, Sura jordgubbsbananer, and Häxvrål.
2. If you were an animal, what would you be? A hard one. I thought of a bird first so I could soar around, but I’m scared of heights. Haha. Perhaps a cat so I could chill everyday, and get a massage whenever someone was around.
3. Where would you like to go on vacation right now? Anywhere in the Caribbean. Or San Francisco, CA. I’ve never been there.
4. What does your bed look like? Amount of pillows, covers, colors, and patterns etc. No head or foot board, thick mattresses directly on the floor, plenty of pillows (6), gray and white covers and pillowcases and the European way of making the bed – loose covers, not tucked in, one down comforter.
6. If you had to choose: Never eat carbs or just wear clothes from Desigual for the rest of your life? Crap. I LOVE pasta, potatoes, fresh baked bread etc..so I don’t think I could live without that. On the other hand, I truly don’t like the style of Desigual, but hopefully there are some clothes there, less intense..so I would go for Desigual.
7. What’s your favorite word? Archipelago. It’s fun to say, and the place itself is wonderful – specially the Swedish archipelago on the East Coast of Sweden. Can’t think of a favorite Swedish word right now.
8. Three pages you always visit when having your web browser up? Blogs I’m following, Pinterest, and the news.
9. What has been your favorite year, so far? I like to think, as the Swedish singer, Håkan Hellström, sings; “I believe that the best is yet to come”. Not in a depressing way that I’m not happy now or haven’t been happy at all. But…if I have to choose a year, I would say the later part of 2013 and the beginning of 2014. I was out of the hospital, moved to the US, started school, and pretty much started a new life (without sickness and in another part of the word, together with my wife and our cat). We went to the beach on fall break, I enjoyed school (even if it was stressful a lot of times), we celebrated Thanksgiving at the beach with family and extended family, spent a really cozy Christmas at home in our apartment, and went to Disney World the first week of 2014. However, it was not only the travels that made it up for a good time in life, it was my health, living in a “new” city, exploring everything here (Asheville), meeting all new friends etc.
10. Five things you always have in your fridge. Half and Half (Swedes, think milk with more percentage of fat, like “red milk”), eggs, garlic, onions, and beer.
Feel free to answer the following 10 new questions and spread it further!
1. What’s your morning routine? 2. Which part of the year is your favorite, and why? 3. What’s your favorite drink? 4. What would you do on a day off? 5. Where would you like to go at this moment? 6. What’s your favorite dish? 7. What are the first five things you would save out of a fire? 8. What’s your favorite book, movie, and tv-series? 9. What’s your favorite music right now? 10. What are you looking forward to in the next week?